Monday, April 27, 2009

"Lesson No. 1 For Electric Guitar"-Glenn Branca

So, after having that life-changing musicospiritual experience this weekend, I decided that there was no reason that I should not be experiencing this joy on a daily basis.

After about two minutes of serious consideration, I went for it. I am now the proud owner of AN ELECTRIC GUITAR. I bought it during my lunch hour, and then I took it back to work with me and set it down next to my desk. Just knowing it was there made me so excited that I could hardly pay attention to my job. It is possible that I Am In Love.

In honor of this purchase and lifestyle change, today's song is "Lesson No. 1 For Electric Guitar" by Very Important Composer Glenn Branca. I don't tend to get particularly jazzed up about long droning things without words, but this song/piece is pretty incredible. It builds in just the right way, until breaking into what can only be described as "cinematic triumphant slow-motion running music."

This song was introduced to me by my friend Ian Mathers, who also happens to know an awful lot about music, in addition to being funny and intelligent. He has written great stuff for PopMatters, The Village Voice, and the mighty-but-unfortunately-defunct Stylus Magazine. Also he has a blog, which you should read in addition to reading my blog, and Alex Ross's blog, and my friend Will's blog which used to be about grapefruits and is now about other stuff. I still hate the word "blog."

But I really, really like the guitar.


if you listen here to the entire 8 minutes and 18 seconds, you will be blessed with good fortune

1 comment:

  1. Cheers for the shout out. And if you liked this one (and I'm so glad you did, I was a bit leery about putting it as the first track on that mix), you should check out Branca's album The Ascension.

    ReplyDelete