Thursday, March 26, 2009

"Let Her Go, God Bless Her"-The Louvin Brothers

Charlie and Ira Louvin, also known as The Louvin Brothers, played country music in the 50s and 60s. Despite some hard-living and mandolin-smashing (mostly on the part of Ira), they managed to pull off fairly angelic harmonies, which influenced The Everly Brothers. And The Everly Brothers, as everyone knows, kick ass.

What is interesting to me about this particular song is that the verses are kind of baffling. Here's the narrative: "I went to church last sunday; I saw my old true love there. And I knew that her mind was changing from the way that she'd done up her hair. I'm going to the races to see my pony run, and if I win any greenback, we're sure gonna have some fun. Sometimes I live in the country, sometimes I live in town. But sometimes I take a good notion to jump in the river and drown."

Now, if you think in any linear way, you might be saying "WTF?" And if you are a fourth grade English teacher, you might say, "I think one of my students wrote that essay last week. It was supposed to be about his summer vacation."

But looking at it more closely, I think it's a fairly accurate description of the stages of a typical grief/loss reaction. Here is a brief reenactment:

Step One: Hey, Sue. Your, uh, your hair looks different. Do you not love me anymore, or something?

Step Two: So, I think I'm going to the racetrack this weekend. Yeah, going to see my pony. Maybe win some cash. It'll be pretty sweet, I think. Sue? I don't know who that is. Yeah! I'm a wild and crazy guy.

Step Three: OH SHIT I THINK I AM GOING TO DIE

In my experience, that's kind of how it goes. Sometimes cycling repeatedly. So, Louvin Brothers: thanks for keeping it real.

I would guess that most people (that includes you, China) haven't heard this song. I have provided a link below and highly recommend giving it just one listen, even if you feel that country tastes like brussels sprouts. Remember: that is the taste of the tiny vitamins, and they are repairing your immune system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N85ozmJB3zQ

No comments:

Post a Comment